Sunday, August 30, 2009

I Wonder What He'll Do Next...

Been a while since my last blog post...been busy getting the boys back to school. Bryan has basketball practice EVERYDAY for 2 hours!!! So that means at least one drive to Marquand everyday! Thank Goodness he has a cousin in his grade, so, my sister-in-law shares drop-off and pick-up duties! When Bradley starts his season, it will be the same way, different sister-in-law! :-)

Here's the real story of this post...things that were looking blah are turning around...

I have been disappointed the last few years with the state of my job situation, But got some very good news and validation lately, that help me to stand still and know that God is in control! It has been a struggle at times because each time I had what seemed like a clear shot at a full time position, things would happen that made it impossible. The district would eliminate the position due to budget cuts...aaaggghhhh! I joked to my school friends that if they wanted a position cut, to let me know and I would apply for it!

Anyway, the last couple years have passed with a few new aides being hired that don't have near my "seniority"-- past experience with the district as a sub. It was beginning to get very depressing. I felt that I deserved a job before these others. I have subbed off and on since the 1993-94 school year! But I have also noticed how various teachers have been more vocal and consistant about requesting that I be called to cover their classes, and it has been a very high compliment to be regarded as a capable and valued substitute. I was working a lot, so it was like being full time anyway! And those who were hired may have qualities that I don't and God needs them there.

Although I want to work full time, the past few years when I was NOT hired, I have had personal things go on that would have been much harder to deal with if I had been employed full-time. Like the death of my father and the house fire...I would have had to take time off to deal with these things and that would not be good had I just started a new position...SO God knows what He's doing and has plans that I don't know yet. It's sort of freeing to be able to know I'm not in charge! LOL

So, to review, I haven't been hired when I thought it was my time, and the world hasn't stopped turning...not even for a second. I enjoy being a sub, for the variety and freedom to have whatever time off I need. And as I mentioned before, more teachers request me lately, and that makes my ego feel good. Although I try not to take it for granted, it does feel good to be needed, no one would deny that!

What I have been trying to pray is that God will give me favor with those I work for and with. That He will put me where I need to be not where I think I should be. If I will humble myself to be useful to Him, He will lift me up to attain what I desire. SO, here's the good part---My first call came to work this year, and I worked half a day at the elementary school on Tuesday. (*See short side note below*) A teacher stopped me in the hall asking that I be her long-term sub for her maternity leave the beginning of Nov through Christmas break! I was very excited to be trusted and relied on to such an extent! I of course said yes!!! The next day I was at the intermediate building, and BEFORE I could even get to the room I was covering that day, a special education teacher said that he had requested me to be the long term sub while his aide was doing her student teaching! Once again, honored and excited to accept!

And what's more, God worked it out so perfectly that the aide position is Sept and Oct. and the teacher's starts immediately after that, so I will now be working full-time through Christmas break!!!

*And a side note to this ramble--Tuesday morning I was feeling a little sorry for myself and posted an update to my facebook feed that I wanted to make better use of my time...within an hour of that post, I had been called to come in to sub that afternoon. And that's where it all started coming together.

I can see God's hand in all this. I am not a bad person, but I had not been doing everything that I knew I was supposed to do for a while -- I mean, going to church on a regular basis, being a better example for and teaching my children, and in general, living a positive life. I was giving it half effort, if that...and I was raised to know what kind of life I should be living. For the last few months, I have been making more of an effort to do better at following God's path, not my own. I am feeling His blessings because of it!

It feels good to be able to give the glory to God for my blessings. I could not do any of this on my own. I know when I tried alone, I have failed spectacularly. All Good and Perfect Gifts come from God! (James 1:17)

I pray that God will continue to give me favor with those I work with the next few months, adults and students alike, and that I may have a positive influence on those around me.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn - Isn't God great!!! You are right - it is so freeing when we relinquish it all to Him. He knows best and we are so much better off if we allow Him to run our lives. I am just a little disappointed because I have RtI Institute dates in Sept and Nov that I requested you as my sub for :(
    I'm so glad to hear how God is working in your life! Hang on tight because He is taking you for a ride!!! jeanna

    ReplyDelete