Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I Wonder What They're Like...

I watch entirely too much T.V. I have admitted it before and stand by my conviction.
*stands up* "My name is Dawn and I'm an entertainment junkie."

But even more concerning to me than the VOLUME (and I don't mean how loud it is while I'm watching...) I mean sheer time periods that I spend watching or at least peripherally watching...even more troublesome, is the emotion I expend on the shows I follow. I laugh, I cry, I squirm, I slap my forehead in exasperation. I get entangled in the lives of people I don't know and will never meet.

And I know that I won't meet them, or talk to them about what has me so captivated about their situations. MAINLY BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT REAL!!! THEY ARE CHARACTERS WRITTEN BY A WRITER; MADE UP IN EVERY DETAIL. I get it, really I do! So why then, do I let them get to me so emotionally?

When ER ended this past Spring, I bawled like a newborn spanked by the doctor! I loved those people...I mean CHARACTERS!!! I was invested in what happened to them and wanted to know that they were going to be okay. I spent as much time with that hospital as I did in real life hospitals and I find myself now really missing it. I found out over the summer that another fave, The Unit, will not be returning this fall....AAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! So, since they aren't coming back, and I will have no closure to my relationship with them, I am forced to worry about them! Is Molly REALLY leaving Jonas? Will Tiffie and Mack be okay? Hector just got married...how's that working out? And Bob and Kim and the kids....and on and on and on!!! The network just didn't seem to notice that I CARED what these people were going through!!!

I am ferociously loyal!!! Both in my personal life and my TV-mania. I DVR about 10 different shows! And I feel just as personally connected to the people...yeah, yeah, I mean "characters"...in each of these shows. I want to be friends with Pamela, Denise, Roland, Claudia Joy and Roxie on Army Wives. They seem like a great bunch of friends to have around! And I want to learn how to kick butt with Mary on In Plain Sight. And I want to investigate crimes with the gangs on NCIS, Criminal Minds and SVU. I could help them! I figure it out before they do a LOT of the time already!!!

Am I deranged? I prefer to think of myself as an extremely avid fanatic viewer of series programming! But even if you agree with me, don't tell me about it...you could get me hooked on your favorite shows next, and I already have enough people !!!!CHARACTERS YES!!! THEY'RE CHARACTERS!!!!! to keep up with.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn - I watch several of those shows and many more! I love In Plain Sight, Saving Grace, Royal Pains, America's Got Talent, Jon and Kate Plus 8, 18 Kids and Counting, and on and on and on...
    Don't know what I would do without my TV. Oh yeah, I enjoyed your blog you wrote about all the different TV show titles!

    ReplyDelete